Monday, March 25, 2013

Simple Contentment



So if we have enough food and clothing, let us be content.
1 Timothy6:8 NLT

I struggle with the idea that I've become so dependent on things for survival.  Things that my grandparents, or even parents, didn't need.  Things like electricity for example.

How do I keep my food cold or frozen without it?  How do I communicate as well without cell phones, e-mail and facebook?  Shopping becomes limited, staying informed and educated becomes more of a challenge.  Washing clothes, taking a shower, vacuuming, playing music or games, paying bills, cooking, staying warm in the winter and cool in the summer all become very challenging without electricity.  I hate that.

At work I take frantic calls from people who don't know what to do when the power goes out.  They are fearful and wonder how to survive.  Have they never gone camping?  Is this what we've come to?  Is it no longer just food, clothing and shelter we need to survive?  Now we need cell phones, microwaves, internet connection and insurance?  Must we always be entertained?  Have we lost our ability to sit still and think our own thoughts?  I don't like this.  I struggle to keep from getting sucked in.  And if I have to fight from getting sucked in at 53 years old, what chance do my kids have, or grandkids, who have never seen life any other way?

God help us, help me at least.  I want to run away to a monastery.  I want to get away from all of the distraction to a simple life.  How many hours of my life do I spend in front of a computer screen waiting and growing frustrated when I could be sitting in front of nature being still and growing peaceful instead?

I'm taking a deep breath, and pondering the Scripture, "Be still and know that I am God."  Psalm 46:10.

No comments:

Post a Comment