Friday, August 29, 2014

Let the I AM replace your AM I!

God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; 
and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, 
"I AM has sent me to you."
Exodus 3:14

Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly I say to you, before Abraham was born, "I am."
John 8:58



When trying to live a "good christian life" people often fall into the am I crisis. Not I Am, but Am I. This is the conflict that occurs when we try to live how we think we should, but don't feel like we are doing very well. We're not exactly sure how to judge how we're doing. We ask ourselves, am I doing this right? Am I doing enough for the kingdom? Am I loving like I should? Am I fulfilling the purpose the Lord has for me? Am I, am I, am I! 

We might ask ourselves, "Who am I?" What is my title in God's kingdom? What job do I have? What is my place and position? We might even compare ourselves with those that seem to be doing so much for the Lord and feel that we don't measure up, and can't see how we ever could. This is the am I crisis and God has a solution for it!

When God spoke to Moses to go tell His people that God was sending him to deliver them from their slavery, Moses asked God who should he say is sending him? God said to tell them I AM has sent you. So God called Himself, I AM. God is. He doesn't struggle to be God, He is God. Jesus also said, "before Abraham was born, I am." 

The Bible tells us in Colossians 3:3, "For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God." As a believer in Jesus Christ, you are dead to your own life and hidden with Christ in God. This is your identity--dead to self, hidden in Christ. Your identity is found in the I AM. It's not found in the 'I should be, or I want to be."' The 'shoulds' and want-to's' are not who you are! You are hidden in the I AM. So what does this mean?

It means first of all, not to judge yourself according to what you think you should be doing in order to be a "good" Christian. You are in Christ and you are where you are in your life today for a reason. Don't struggle to be something you are not, but rather live out your identity in Christ right where you are. Start today. Look at your job, your family, your position in life as the high calling that it is. Hide yourself in the I AM today as you go through your day.

Next, trust Him to guide your path. As it says in Proverbs 3:5-6, trust in the Lord with all your heart, don't try to figure things out, acknowledge Him in all your ways and He will make your paths straight. When you quit feeling guilty for not doing what you think you should be doing, but let the I AM live through you, acknowledging Him in everything, then your path will lead to where you need to go. 

Today, look at your day with joy, not drudgery, and keep your thoughts on the I AM, shining Him into every place you go and everything you do!


No comments:

Post a Comment